Northstar Downhole Specialists’ engineering team is looking for a motivated and creative mechanical design engineer to help bring next-generation downhole products and solutions to market.
Responsibilities will include:
- Conceptual mechanical and electromechanical design of downhole tools such as packers, bridge plugs, valves, samplers, and telemetry systems
- Detailed design and analysis including mechanical CAD, finite element analysis (FEA), and preparing deliverables including design reports, calculations, drawings and schematics, product specifications and support documentation
- Supplier liaison, coordinating manufacturing
- Test planning, hands-on testing, and commissioning of prototypes
- Job planning and support for operations team, for both new and legacy products.
- APEGA-recognized bachelor’s degree in Engineering (mechanical or mechatronic preferred)
- Eligible for APEGA (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta) professional licensure
- Alberta Class 5 Driver’s License
- Able to lift 20 lbs
- 1-5 years’ experience designing complex mechanical or electromechanical systems
- Experience designing, operating or maintaining downhole tools
- Test planning and experimental design
- Competence with CAD and FEA tools (SolidWorks preferred)
- Broad knowledge of materials selection and materials science
- Electromechanical integration, microcontroller programming and PCB design
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter with good initiative
The successful candidate will report to the Design Engineering Manager. The position is based in Calgary, AB, with opportunity for occasional remote work. Occasional Canadian and international travel may be required.
Northstar Downhole Specialists designs, manufactures and operates innovative downhole tools for reservoir evaluation and intervention. With successful operations in over 30 countries, we supply market-leading services to conventional and unconventional oil & gas operators, carbon capture and storage (CCS), solution mining, helium, lithium, and geothermal exploration, as well gas storage and disposal projects.